How to Measure and Cut Chain
- Wire Diameter or Material Size– the diameter or thickness of the wire or material used to make the link
- Inside Link Width– the distance between the sides of the inside of the link. Also called Eye.
- When measuring a length of chain to be cut, be sure to use the link past the last measurement for the cut as that link will no longer be useable.
- Each product on our site will include an image showing the measurement locations for that specific product.
- Inside Link Length – the distance between the top and bottom of the inside of the link. Also called Pitch.
- Inside Link Length – the distance between the ends of the inside of the link. Also called Pitch. For weldless chain, be sure to include the twists as a part of the link.
- Make sure to cut the link after the last one you need based on your measurements.
- The type of tool you use to cut your chain will depend on the material size, the grade of chain, and the finish or treatment on it.
Scroll To Top
Start typing to see products you are looking for.