Proper location: The hardware provided is intended only for standard wood lumber. Do not install in metal or a live tree.
Make sure there is enough clearance around the swing for proper use. We recommend four feet in front of and behind the swing, 12-24″ on each side, and about 18″ below the swing. Our porch swing kits are intended for residential use only and should not be used on playgrounds or other commercial applications.
Use only the hardware provided. If other hardware is used, make sure it has the same or higher load rating as what is included in the kit. The maximum load limit for the two chain assemblies MUST NEVER EXCEED 500 lbs.
Install the Ceiling Hook and Chain:
- Please make sure the wood member the swing is attached to is sound and will support at least four times its intended load capacity. If the swing is hung from a porch ceiling, be sure to install the ceiling hook into a joist.
- Install the ceiling hooks between 2″ and 4″ wider than the width of the swing.
- Drill a 1/4″ pilot hole to a depth of 1 1/2″ before installing the ceiling hooks. Do NOT force the installation without a pilot hole as this may fracture the ceiling hook. Do NOT use a drill bit larger than 1/4″ or go past a depth that exceeds 1 1/2″. Do NOT use an existing hole if it does not meet these dimensions.
- The ceiling hooks must be installed vertically at 90 degrees into a horizontal supporting member, as shown in the illustration below. Be careful not to install the ceiling hook at an angle which may bend the shank. Be sure to screw the hook in deep enough to cover all threads. Soap or wax may be applied to the threads to make installation easier. Turn the hook as shown, so the hook itself does not impair the motion of the swing.
- Attach the chain to the hook and then close the hook.
Warning: Read the instructions carefully. Failure could result in serious injury.
All metal products, including this chain, are subject to corrosion and wear over time. Therefore, it is crucial before each use to inspect the chain (and S-hook if applied). Any chain, or S-hook, showing rust or wear should be replaced. Replace with the same – or larger sized – Double Loop Chain. This chain can be obtained from most hardware stores, building supply centers, etc.